- Item 11: Define a copy constructor and an assignment operator for classes with dynamically allocated memory.
- Item 12: Prefer initialization to assignment in constructors.
- Item 14: Make destructors virtual in base classes.
- Item 15: Have “operator=” return a reference to *this.
- Item 23: Don’t try to return a reference when you must return an object.
And the following style guidelines from Scott Meyers’ “More Effective C++” book:
- Item 6: Distinguish between prefix and postfix forms of increment and decrement operators.
- Item 7: Never overload “&&”, “||”, or “,”.
When selecting this option, be aware that the standard library headers do not obey all of these guidelines; use grep -v to filter out those warnings.